Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Take My Handkerchief

Bengali lessons are coming along slowly. I've completed about 10 units, and have gotten comfortable reading and writing a little more than half of the letters. However, the emphasis isn't on building vocab just yet, so the only things that I can consistently remember how to say are:

Amar nam Alicia. (My name is Alicia.)

Aam anun. (Bring [some] mangoes.)

and

Amar rumal nin. (Take my handkerchief.)

Useful phrases--these will make for some interesting, albeit brief, conversations...

4 comments:

Jaime said...

I'm sure people will be hospitable, thereby wanting you eat something (a mango perhaps). After eating said mango, your hands would be sticky, and it would be rude of you to leave mango juice on their positions, thereby requiring you to ask for a handkerchief.

The mango juice would then bring flies, which would bring disease, which is exactly what you are trying to prevent. You dirty American.

Whew. International crisis diverted.

Sue said...

Wait -- Jaime knew about this blog before I did??!!! I'm so upset I'm all verklempt! Harumph!

Jaime said...

Actually, I read that Alicia had a blog on Sue's blog.

So ironic.

Anonymous said...

Aami tomar rumal keno nibo?