Friday, February 15, 2008

An Update

My apologies for being so terrible about updating! We've now finished our second module, and are very happy to have a week off before starting the third (quantitative research methods, biostats, and epidemiology). The last two weeks have been pretty intensive with practicing qualitative research methods. The last week was spent working on small-scale research projects. My partner Taufique and I looked at understandings of death among the elderly members of the village and the relationship with their overall well-being. It was actually a very interesting subject, and I'd be happy to elaborate if anyone in particular is interested.

Apart from working on the project, I haven't done very much lately. Almost all waking hours were spent somehow away from my room, and mostly away from the internet, too. However, when I was in my room, I met another of my roommates:


I went into Dhaka earlier this week to attend a security briefing at the US Embassy. To get there from another area in the city I enjoyed a sunrise rickshaw ride--quite the experience, I must say. Also, it was suddenly very strange to see so many Americans in the same place. I then managed to get to the American center to pick up my mail, so a big Thank You to everyone who sent things--it was so exciting to have some dispatches from home! (And some chocolate!) I have very good intentions of sending mail to everyone at some point, but I've yet to find a post office around here. I'll keep looking, though.

During the coming week, we have planned to go to Cox's Bazar (the longest uninterupted beach in the world, apparently), in the southern part of Bangladesh. One of our classmates is getting married this weekend, also, so a few of the other international girls and I are planning to go sari shopping tomorrow so that we can appropriately dress for the occasion. I'm pretty excited.

More to come when I return from the trip, and hopefully some good pictures then, too.

2 comments:

Sue said...

Great to have you back. I'm looking forward to seeing the worlds longest beach!

Keep an eye out for a postcard from Antarctica.

Anonymous said...

I was glad to read your post - however, I would not enjoyo your new room mate! Hope he is friendly or has decided to changer his abode! Sounds like you have some well deserved fun time planned. Enjoy sari shopping!!