Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Field Visit

Yesterday we had the opportunity to visit a village in the area surrounding Savar. Our class of 29 has been divided into 4 sub-groups, and my group was given the task of observing housing, water, and sanitation. I walked around with two of my classmates (both of whom were fluent in Bangla), and I mostly just smiled at people and took pictures. Not being able to speak the language is very frustrating in the field setting, and when data collection relies on conversation, stopping often to translate can be detrimental. In short, I really need to learn how to say more than "Hello, how are you?, I'm fine, Bye. (Bring mangoes.)" Being able to leave campus and walk around a (I'm told) rather typical Bangladeshi village, though, was very enjoyable--everyone was very cordial and receptive, and I made particular friends with this woman:





And here's a landscape (with cows--just like being at home!):


And a shot of my team members (Takele, Bashir, Yuko, Arif, Naznine, Sabrina):



This evening I wrote my first paper of the year--only two pages, which was perhaps a easier for me with my native English than it was (/is...the computer lab is still full tonight) for others--on arsenic (may as well get an early start). In a few days I have to give a presentation on the USA, with emphasis on health concerns, so I need to finish putting together my PowerPoint. Otherwise, we've had a number of group projects and readings. With eight hours of class a day, we progress through material and activities pretty quickly. There hasn't been much time for anything but class-related activities, and everyone is still trying to get acquainted. I've found a kindred spirit in Vanesse, a medical anthropologist from the Netherlands who appreciates Bollywood as much as I do.

Rumor has it that a few other students are interested in getting wireless for the dorm, too, so perhaps I will be saved the trouble (and some of the cost) of getting my own. Hopefully I will be more connected within the next few weeks. As is, it's hard for me to stay as connected as I would like. No other news really, except that they served chocolate ice cream at lunch today. I didn't realize how much I had been missing chocolate until I had some. Only a week in this country and already I'm missing chocolate and baked goods.

And on that note, I retire!

4 comments:

Sue said...

The picture of the woman in the village is gorgeous, and I love the group shot. It's clear the program has just begun. Be sure to retake a group picture in about 4 weeks, they should be standing much closer to each other by then ;-)

Renee said...

Lies! You also know how to say dance and lobster among many other useful words. And that lady is maybe my new favorite person.

Anne said...

Am I allowed to send you brownies through the pouch? Although I guess only 2 pounds of brownies would hardly be worth it... maybe breadsticks would be lighter per moment of enjoyment? ...though perhaps more likely to become stale. I am perplexed. Let me know.

Anonymous said...

Love the picture of the native woman. I am sure you will learn the native language quite quickly. You and yiour new friend can then really get to know each other!