Thursday, January 3, 2008

Greetings from Savar!

Today I moved from Dhaka to Savar--about a 20-30 minute drive outside the city. It's the location of BRAC University's Training and Research Center (BTARC), where I'll be spending the first 6 months of the program.

I should start by mentioning that there is only internet access in the computer lab, which doesn't officially open until Saturday. Someone let me in tonight because I asked, but communication may be limited for a little while.

I've moved into my own 10X10 room--it's small and furnished and quiet, and very undecorated. The campus here in Savar is gated, and there are trees and marigolds planted all over. Compared to the city, it's practically silent here (compared to VT, it's still pretty bustling).

So far I've met 5 of the other international students (from Tanzania, Japan, Myanmar, India, and the Netherlands), and they all seem very friendly. The rest will arrive tomorrow, and the national students on the morning of orientation (Saturday).

In other news, I'm feeling quite well today, though my voice seems to have gone a bit--hopefully it will come back by tomorrow.

More soon, I hope!

1 comment:

Sue said...

I bet you'll have the room decorated in no time. I could send some Stargate SG-1 posters -- Jaime has them at the moment, but I'm sure she'll part with them for a good cause ;-)