Sunday, March 9, 2008

Quasi-Update

Yet another course has passed without my having managed to post an update, so before the new one gets too far underway I'll offer this very short update (just so the blog knows I haven't abandoned it completely).

We just finished Quantitative Research Methods--two weeks' worth of action-packed, survey-writing fun. I did get to tailor my independent project to be more in line with my overall arsenic-related research goals, however, so that was very useful.

Today we began a seven week Biostats/Epidemiology module. I can't really offer any judgement yet, but first impressions are promising. Yet again we have a group project, but luckily we were able to choose groups this time. I think they just wanted to make sure no one ended up dead at the end of the seven weeks. Rumor has it that this is the trickiest course of the bunch, so you may not hear much from me for a while, but I still have beach trip pictures to post so hopefully I'll find the time to do so.

Otherwise, not much is new here in Savar. The weather is getting warmer, but I'm becoming used to it. And having AC helps tremendously. Vanesse and I went into Dhaka over the weekend for a day of escape: pizza and aimless shopping can work wonders. And I'm becoming much more confident in my ability to navigate in the city--on the whole, everything here is starting to feel more normal, more like home.

One of these days I'm going to take a picture of the sunset. It is absolutely stunning, and unlike anything I have ever seen in the northern hemisphere. I wondered at first how the red dot on the Bangladeshi flag represented the sun, but now I understand entirely.

And my lunch break is now drawing to a close. Off to learn how to use some kind of statistical software... More soon, I hope!

No comments: